Sunday, February 8, 2009

Back In The Day (Techno-Whining Alert)

I just sent my second-ever "Help, I need some help, please" email to my Internet Provider.

I have purchased, and failed to properly install, some sort of wire-less router thingie for my laptop. All I want to do is use my laptop on my... um... I guess it's technically my dining-room table. Really it's my workspace, desk, and sewing-table that I and other people sometimes eat a meal on. Anyhow this is the second wireless-router-thingie I've purchased. Thank heavens this time I saved my receipt.

So, I emailed my IP, and I hope they'll get back to me in the next day or two with some answer for my poor little compu-paranoid soul. I use the term "compu-paranoid" with authority because I wrote a paper about it in college, about 12 years ago. Yes, I invented the term. And yes, I'm sure others have invented it too.

Oh, back when Commodore 64's were THE big thing, I was such a wiz-kid. I RULED the computer-lab in my grade six year. I helped everyone with all types of things. I programmed in BASIC. It was such fun. Whatever happened? I think part of my problem is that I dropped out of the burning, roaring and raving computer-scene in my early 'teens. I didn't have my own computer til one of my brothers gave me his old clunker a few years back. I didn't know how to turn on or off a contemporary personal-computer til my first job post-college.

Hmm. I had rebelled during high-school; I didn't want to take "Computer Science" because at that time all it really did was take the place of "Typing". I was avoiding sexual stereotypes in my schooling. I didn't take any Home-Economics courses, and even dabbled with the idea of taking Woodshop (though my fear of assorted grave injuries stopped me from taking that plunge).

Things are so much easier when all you do is make things like paintings and cartoons and knit or sewn things that are crafty and fun and creative. I just almost wish I had not rebelled against the status quo and taken the typing/computer courses. Almost.

No comments: